Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Time

There are many situations that make you step back and go "Why did I do this to myself again?"  This is usually sparked when my planner/calendar is extremely full.  Well we are at that point right now.  My planner is color coded.  Pink highlighter for one boy, yellow for the other.  Hubs work schedule is also written in, along with important stuff for both of our moms-doctor appts, out of town trips etc.  In amongst all of that you have to make time to handle the everyday life things at home, laundry, dishes (that some how mount up even though no one actually eats at home) cleaning the bathroom (let's face it the house becomes a rest area only, used primarliy for its facilities). 

Now let me just say that my family is not an overly busy family for about 10 months out of the year.  I tell my kids that they can pick one thing to do at a time.  Thing 1 came home from school the first of the year and said "Mom I wanna do cub scouts"  the converstation then went like this

MOM: Well honey that is great but if you do cub scouts, then you can't play baseball.
THING: I can do both mom, it's easy.
        Let me just say here that he is 7 and doesn't yet understand the total logistics of it all
MOM:  You may be able to, but the person who is responsible for taking you to events can't do both.  So you need to pick, do you want to be a scout, or a ball player.
        Let me say here, that the Scouts organization is a grand thing, and I am not against my sons being one, but we aren't the go go go all the time kind of family so I made him pick.
Thing:  Well, Mama, that's not really a hard choice to make...I'm a ball player, but can I play football to?
MOM:  walks off to another room shaking head

The reason why I limit my kids on what they can and can't do activity wise is very simple.  It is a 4 letter word, TIME.  Given the schedule that HUBS has with work, and the chances that he has to work on a day he should be off, and the fact that I work 30 minutes from home; things have to be limited. 

Right now both kids play baseball, one is on a teeball team, the other coach pitch.  That's right, we have games the same night at different fields at the same time-not many because thankfully the coach is the same for both. 

This goes back to the married single parent thing.  What do you do when Hubs is working a shift, Thing 1 has a game at 715 in one town, and Thing 2 has a game at 7 in a totally different town, 15 minutes away?  Pray that their grandma is around!!! 

The joys of motherhood, wifehood and LEOhood!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment