Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Chase

I like to think of myself as pretty well laid back when it comes to being an officer's wife.  Meaning the long shifts, time apart and over all concern for safety don't freak me out as much as they did at first.  When phones calls aren't answered, or returned as soon as I would like, I don't jump to conclusions.  When he is 3 hours late from a shift, I don't panic and jump in the car and ride to the PD just to check on him (mostly because now when he is 3 hours late coming home he gets here at 3 a.m. and well to be honest I am asleep).  However there is one part of the job that no matter how long I am married to the hubs it scares the ever living daylights out of me.  That my friends is a chase. 

Let me make an important point here.  A chase is part of the job, they teach how to drive a patrol car in a chase in rookie school.  It's gonna happen.  I am ok with that, and well let's face it, even if I wasn't what can I do about it, right?  Hearing about a chase afterwards doesn't bother me.  It gets me when I see my husband jump up and run out of a restaurant, or even home when he has stopped by puts me on edge. The worry comes in because we have known too many officers to have been seriously injured in chases.  I would prefer Hubs not be a statistic.

We were out to a family dinner one night and one of these calls came through.  The lady waiting on us must have saw the look on my face because she put her arm around me and said he'll be ok.  I said thank you, and I know but having to watching him run out like that scares me to no end. 

Tonight one of these lovely little calls came through.  Hubs and one of the other on duty officers stopped by the house to enjoy some fresh baked home made bread.  Just as soon as they both finished eating the call came in.  Hubs and the rookie jumped up and took off.  I had planned on showering and going to bed when they left, had it been under normal circumstances.  Now I will just try and patiently wait to hear from him.  The only real advantage to having nervous energy is that my floors get mopped.  Something good does come out of it I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment