Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What does that mean

What does it mean to be a cop's wife? Very simply, it means that I am often left at home alone on weekends, holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries. I am a married single mother to our children, not knowing when he will be home, or if he will be called in on his days off.  It also means that I cook meals at odd hours, often for grown men that have just had a hard night or are tired of eating out and just want a home cooked meal.  I am an alarm clock because shifts are so different from time to time, a midnight laundry service because of being out on a wreck call or having to chase someone and clothes are muddy, or bloody, or who knows what else.  I am a shoulder to cry on when the calls hit a little too close to home.  I am the brunt of the anger when things get tough, just because he knows I am not going anywhere. 

It also means that person that is there with words of encouragement, when he just can't take anymore.  The person that tells reminds him just how important his job is after being called every name in the book.  I am his biggest fan, because I know how hard he worked to get where he is today and how much the nights away, bother him. 

I am also the person who gets to hear all the bad things people say about police all while biting my tongue, just until I get the chance to say my point of view.  It means being the person that everyone calls when they see blue lights and siren, just to be nosey and see what's going on. 

The main thing it means is that I am the one who sends my heart to work not knowing if it will come home. It also means, that I wouldn't trade it for all the treasure's in the world. 

If you think it’s tough being a Policeman …. try being a Policeman’s wife !!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for your blog! I am newly a cops wife (we got married last year) and I love our blog because I can identify with it. :) someone i can identify with and somneone who gets it. :) Thank You! :)

    ReplyDelete