Monday, September 15, 2014

Far too many

I try not to be that wife.  I try not to be the over worrier, the dwell on the bad kind of wife.  Let's be serious for a minute though.  In this day and time, you have to face reality.  There are dangers in this lifestyle, there are risk.  There are dangers that not many are willing to face.  These facts alone don't always make it easy to deal with.  Now add in that 8 LEO's  have made the ultimate sacrifice in the last 11 days. 

This is staggering.   8 families that are now missing a father, husband, brother, son. 

What bothers me even more, is that you don't see the non stop news of how this has happened.  You may see a blip on the news today, and that be it.    Now you know as well as I do, if it had been 8 officers shooting someone, then it would be every where.  That is another soap box. 

Today is the first time in 11 years, that I am anxious about Hubs going to work.  While I know he is not on the road like a lot of the guys, but still, anything can happen. 

I try not to be the wife that thinks the next statistic will be us.  But let's face it, no one thinks they next statistic will be them. 

I text hubs earlier, and told him to be safe, have a good shift, and I loved him, as I do the majority of his shifts.  Never take time together for granted.  Make what you have count.  Life is far far to short.

To those families that are dealing with their terrible lose, my prayers are with you. 


2 comments:

  1. I am newly engaged to a PO who is on the road for his 12 hour shift. With everything going on I am not having one ounce of doubt about marrying him only about being able to be the wife and support that he needs. I don't know if I can handle the constant worry if he is going to come home or if I am going to get a phone call or a knock on the door. I sleep with my phone on loud. How do you know if you are strong enough of a support system?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off congrats on your engagement. Enjoy all the chaos that goes along with wedding planning.

    Now for that big question, are you strong enough?? There is a phrase that is used in my family when things are seemingly to crumble or times are getting hard. "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have".
    You will find strength you didn't know you had just when you don't think you have anything left to give. It's hard and emotionally draining but you do it.

    You also need to find another police wife in your department. Preferably a more experienced officer's wife. She can be a friend, a guide, and a bigger help than you will ever know.

    Lastly, you can't dwell on the what if's and I wonders. You will drive yourself insane. When he's working find something to do with your time. You have to have the distraction.

    Don't doubt yourself. Just love him as best you can and it will all fall into place

    ReplyDelete