Friday, January 17, 2014

A first in our house

Last night was a first for us.  A bomb threat was called into one of our local businesses and it and the surrounding businesses had to be evacuated.  Thankfully it was a hoax, and all was fine.  However this business is on my way home.  So the kids and I were coming home from haircuts and supper with my mom and her husband, and we see the mass of flashing lights, both blue and red, and the mass of first responders of all types.  My kids asked what was going on.  I had to call a close friend of mine to find out, since her husband is a fireman that was on scene.  She said it was the bomb threat.  So I (possibly a mistake) told the kids, that someone called in and said there was a bomb at the store.  Well we get home, and I tell little boys to go get baths, and I notice that my youngest is crying.  This is not totally out of character for him, he is a bit emotional at times. 

My oldest son hugged him and asked what was wrong, and my youngest turned to me and said "Mama I am worried about Daddy".  Let me just tell you, that hits you hard.  About the time he was saying what was wrong, I got a text.  That said basically, that he would be late, he was trying to come home and see us, but couldn't and that he loved us.  So I tell the boys, "Look Daddy is fine, he is texting me, he is ok and he loves you" 

That thankfully got them settled, but up until they went to sleep they were asking if I had heard from their daddy. 

Right before they went to bed, I got my youngest son in my lap, and had to look at him and explain, this is our life honey, this happens.  Daddy is called to do this job, and that means at times he is going to be in very dangerous situations.  We just have to have faith, that God will bring him home to us and if we are really scared, then we pray.  So my youngest son crawls up in my lap and we prayed for safety, not only for my husband but all of the ones out there. 

It dawned on me, as much as I try not to let the worries of the lifestyle show and get to us, it does take a toll on the little guys.  Thankfully Hubs made it home safe and sound at his regular shift end time.  The best part is we have the entire weekend to spend with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment