Friday, November 16, 2012

The joys of cooking

You know as well as I do that officer's eat out pretty much every shift, well in my area they do.  A lot of places give discounts for them when they are in uniform.  So being the caring, loving, devoted wife that I am (please hold all laughter until the story has come to a safe and complete stop) I try to fix home cooked meals every now and then for him and whatever officers happen to be working, or I will fix a dessert or fresh baked bread and they will come by and have coffee.  Despite what it seems Susie Homemaker I am not.  Well this weekend I got a little break, Hubs was at work, Thing 1 and Thing 2 were at a birthday party so this mama got to fly solo.  What did I do with my hours of free time you ask...did I stay home and clean my house...nope.  Did I volunteer my time...nope.  Did I take a nap...nope.  I went and had lunch with Hubs and then went to the grocery store ALL BY MYSELF!!!  If you are a mother you understand the awesome feeling it is to wander up and down ever lane and not have to yell or fuss or scowl. But I digress. 

Before I went to the store I asked Hubs if there was anything imparticular he wanted or needed.  He actually made a request which he never does.  He wanted me to get the stuff to make a cream cheese danish.  Once again being the loving devoted wife, I get the fixings to be able to make two of them.  It is super easy, and quick and oh my gosh so good.  I go home and bake this thing and take it to the PD for the officers working.  I then tell Hubs that I will have supper fixed tomorrow night because I was going to Mother's to learn how to make Chicken and Dumplings. 

Now if you are a southerner or have meet a southerner you are aware that this meal is comfort food in a pot.  It is my all time favorite winter meal and I LOVE a plate full of them along with pintos, slaw and cornbread, you really can't have one without the others.  Again I digress. 

I take Thing 1 and 2 and head to my mom's and I will admit I am almost drooling at the idea of what's gonna be the end result.  So we get this pot of goodness made and I take them home and stash in the fridge for supper the next night. 

Fast forward to the next evening, I made a big ole bowl of slaw, had pintos cooking in the crock pot most of the day and made a big ole cake of cornbread (Hungry yet?)  I go to taste the dumplings and let me just say what I had on that fork was not at all what I was expecting.  Oh no.  It was disaster in a pot.  Then I go check the beans that have cooked on high for about 5 hours.  They were no where near done.  I go to take the cornbread out of the pan and it was stuck.  I call my mother because I am just shy of tears.  My mother answers and I just tell her that I think that i have just made the worst meal of my entire life.  What does she do...She laughs. 

Hubs comes home to eat and I tell him, that I will just pay for us to go out to eat.  He stands over the pot and takes a sniff.  He just shakes his head.  Thing 1 said "Daddy, I don't think the dog will eat that, I really don't think a possum would eat that."  Well ya know that stings a little.  I am on the verge of tears.  Hubs and kiddos are laughing and all I can say is, well at least I don't have a PD full of hungry men waiting on them. 

Needless to say the pot got set outside and the dog loved them.  I however will be buying a new pot before the next attempt at making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment